Sunday, March 13, 2016

Tutorial: Photo Map

A while ago, when I was planning my wedding, I saw pictures of photo maps floating around Pinterest. They looked so cool, but weren't necessarily appropriate for my husband and I. Still, the idea stuck in my head, and I realized that a photo map would make a great gift for my parents who have done a lot of traveling across the country.


Materials:
  • A map 
    • You can purchase one in a size that you like, or if you're fussy like me, you can trace one. 
  • Tracing paper
  • A sharpie or marker
  • Photo paper: You can use photos that are already printed, but I found it much easier to print the photos myself so I was sure they would fit in the states appropriately.
  • Measuring tape
Making the Map:

Many of the maps I saw were too large or too wide for my liking, so I decided to trace my own map. We happen to have a projector, so I set it up in my living room and projected a map onto the paper in the frame.

If I were to do this again, I would've actually set the frame on a wall somewhere - there was too much movement with it sitting on the chair!

I used pencil to trace each state. Once I was finished, I went back over the lines in marker so they would stand out.

Ta-da! 

After the map was finished, I traced each state with tracing paper and cut them out.

Once the states were cut out, I measured them and printed the pictures so they would fit each state's widest dimension. I then put the states on top of the printed pictures, traced the outline, and cut the pictures so they would match the state's dimensions.

They fit perfectly! I used glue to set each state in place, BUT, if I were to do this project again, I would either use a high-quality glue stick or tape. The liquid glue quickly warped the thin paper, which made the map look a little wrinkly at the end.

Since the midwest looked a little bare, I decided to color in the unvisited states so the rest of the map wouldn't look so bland.

Slowly but surely!

Here's the final product! Again, my only regret is that the glue I used warped the paper, but the overall effect is still pretty neat.

Obviously we are an east-coast family :)
(Also, South Carolina isn't colored because we've been there, but I couldn't find any photos of us there!)

Yes, I had to decapitate family members in some photos, but there was no other way of making them fit nicely in the shapes of the states!

This was a fun project to do, and I hope I get to do something similar someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment