Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Tutorial: How to make a 5 string braid


Five string braids look complicated, but they're actually very simple! To create a five string braid, choose any five colors - I used yarn for the tutorial so the strings would be easier to see. You can also use embroidery floss if you're making a friendship bracelet, or a cut-up t-shirt to make a braided headband!

I used a clipboard to help hold my strings in place.

Separate your strings into two sections - two strings on one side and three strings on the other. On the side with three strings, pick up the outermost string (the purple one in my picture.)

Bring the outside string over the second string (the green string in this picture) and under the third. Then, move it to the other side so you still have three strings on one side and two on the other.

Now, repeat the process again! Pick up the outermost string on the side with three strings.

Bring it over the center string and under the last string.

You should have three strings on the side where you initially started, and two on the other.

Keep going! I like to periodically readjust the clipboard to help me keep my strings organized.


All done! Tie up the ends so it doesn't unravel.




Don't forget, if you're not in the mood to DIY, our Etsy shop is always open! 

  

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment