Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ribbon Flowers



I found this tutorial for ribbon flowers on Pinterest a while back, but I only just got the chance to try it out. The tutorial calls for a wood burner, which I don't have, so I'll show you what I did instead.

I scored this awesome ribbon from a clearance bin!

In the tutorial, the author traces her rounded edge with a washer, which I do have. If you don't have a washer, you could use a bottle cap or anything with a rounded edge. You could even create your own template from cardboard.



I do not have a woodburning tool, so I traced my petal onto the ribbon and cut it out with scissors.


The advantage of using the woodburning tool is that it simultaneously cuts the ribbon and seals the edges. Because I used scissors, I sealed the edges with a good ol' Mod Podge instead. I think there is a way to do this using tea lights, but I'm a little skittish about fabric and fire.


After you cut out your petals, sew them together using thread in a coordinating color. When you stitch the petals together, the thread should go over the edges of connecting petals, not under. In the picture above, the two petals attached to the left are done the correct way.


Once they're all sewn together, pull tightly and tie the flower together. You will probably have to adjust the ribbon to get the flower to sit correctly; this one is a little lopsided, while the second one I made is more even.
Ta-da! 


I attached this flower onto a hair clip. The hair clips that I use have holes at the top so things can easily be sewn to them.


A little sparkle in the center and it's done!

1 comment:

  1. Ribbon Flowers are beautiful! I have gotten alot of compliments on the handbags I bought, especially the black and white one.

    ReplyDelete