Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Glass Etching: Create your own stencils

A few months ago, I wrote a basic glass etching tutorial. Yesterday, I etched some hand-drawn designs on tea light holders; I wanted to show the process I used to create my own stencils.

If anyone knows how to take a good photo of etching on glass, PLEASE let me know!


Materials
  • Glass to be etched (will not work on plastic)
  • Armor Etch
  • Paintbrush
  • Blank Vinyl Stencil (can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.)
  • X-acto knife
  • Scrap paper (optional)
  • Newspaper, or something else to protect your workspace
Step One

I used two different methods to create my stencils. First, I drew a wave design on paper, then cut it out and traced it on the vinyl. If you were using a logo or picture you found somewhere else, you would follow the same process.




For my second design, I drew a branch directly onto the vinyl (after practicing on paper, of course.) The downside to this method is that you can't re-draw your design if you mess up, but it works well for things that don't need to be perfect.


Step Two

Cut out your design using an x-acto knife or something similar. I'm sure it's possible to use scissors but I would not recommend it. With an x-acto knife, you get cleaner, more precise lines.


Step Three

Adhere the stencil to your glass and apply the Armor Etch. There are directions on the bottle, but I included details here as well. Make sure your stencil is flat on the glass, otherwise the armor etch may bleed underneath it and ruin your design. 

Step Four

Wash off the armor etch, remove your stencil, and ta-da! 




Extra!

I covered my tea lights in scrapbook paper and sealed them with a coat of Mod Podge. A little extra personality!




Don't forget to Like us on Facebook :)

No comments:

Post a Comment