Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tutorial: Felt Roses


Felt Roses are cute, easy to make, and extremely versatile. I've used them to decorate magnets, picture frames, and hair accessories; I'm sure I'll think of plenty more places to glue them. To make a felt rose, you'll need the following materials:
  • Felt (amount will depend on how large you want your roses to be)
  • scissors
  • hot glue gun

Step One: Cut a piece of felt into a "flower" shape. For a different, more uniform effect, you can opt to cut the felt into a simple circle.



Step Two: Take your scissors and cut a spiral into the flower. When I cut, I continue cutting in the "flower" pattern.

Ta-da!

Step Three: Take the outer edge of the flower and begin tightly rolling it inward.


Step Four: Once you have rolled your flower, hot glue the end section to the bottom of the flower. This will secure it into place.


You now have a felt rose! At craft stores, you can find bobby pins and hair clips that are specially made for attaching decorations. I have also glued roses to headbands, magnets, and picture frames for a little extra style. My refrigerator looks like a garden!

The back of a felt rose bobby pin. Notice the circular disk meant for adhering decorations.

Felt roses as refrigerator magnets.

Not the best picture, but you can see the felt roses used to spice up a picture frame.









2 comments:

  1. I love these felt roses! They are so versatile. You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are easy! They only take a couple minutes to make.

    ReplyDelete